Useful Dānā Items List: COVID-19 Update
The monastery is now closed indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, so delivery of dānā groceries and meals has been suspended. Our access to some grocery items is also limited at this time, particularly the following:
- Dried fruits and nuts (i.e. walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, dates, raisins, prunes, dried cranberries, dried figs, dried apricots, etc.)
- Nut and seed butters (i.e. peanut, almond, tahini, etc.)
- Maple syrup
- Large dark chocolate bars for teatime (no dairy)
- Allowable candies for teatime (i.e. jelly beans, hard candies, gummy candies; no dairy, nuts, fruits, etc.)
- Tetra-Paks of broth (i.e. vegetable, chicken, beef)
- FOR MONASTICS: Unsalted mixed nuts, non-dairy creamer, dark roast coffee beans
If you would like to provide any of these to Birken during our closure, you may mail them to us at the following address:
Birken Forest Buddhist Monastery
7000 Smith Lake Forest Srv Rd.
Knutsford, BC V0E 2A0
Anumodana! We rejoice in your generosity and great merit.
Once we reopen, please return to the following protocol concerning dānā items:
Upon arrival to Birken, dānā items may be given to a Kitchen Steward, or brought to the main kitchen area. Please do not enter or leave items in the basement cold room storage area without a Resident Steward present.