We are taking applications for an Administrative Office Steward and backup applications for a Kitchen Steward.
The Administration Office Steward’s duties are varied and involve supporting other people in their work. The ideal candidate will have good organizational and computer skills, and enjoy working with others.
Prior related work experience is helpful. Duties include:
- Website management (WordPress) and Newsletters (Mailchimp)
- Email, mail and phone correspondence (Google Workspace)
- Working with the monastics to recruit and orient new stewards.
- Administrative support for resident monastics, AV Production, maintenance and construction.
- Printing, tracking and annotating of receipts for the bookkeeper.
- Monastery shopping and ordering, including related research.
- Miscellaneous other duties.
If you are interested in this very special opportunity to serve the Birken community, please see our Resident Stewardships webpage for more information and instructions on how to apply.
In non-Buddhist countries, remote monasteries like Birken depend on the voluntary help of long-term Resident Lay Stewards. Stewards live at the monastery full-time and volunteer their services free of charge. This is an excellent opportunity for practitioners who are looking for a simple life devoted to the Buddha’s teachings, meditation and meritorious acts of service to the Sangha, to dwell in the company of like-minded individuals who are also committed to these ideals.
We look forward to welcoming you to Birken.